Cowdrick, William J. S., was born at Bellefonte, Pa., November 4, 1804, a son of Morris W. Cowdrick, a prominent brick manufacturer and contractor. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and at seventeen years of age learned his father's trade, which he has followed ever since. For two years after serving his apprenticeship he traveled through the south doing journeyman work, but returned to Bellefonte, and re-entered the employ of his father. In 1887 the family removed to Johnstown, Pa., where, in company with his father, he established a brick works and contracting business which they continued to operate until 1893; early in 1894 they removed their business to Niagara Falls, N. Y., where they still remain. Since 1894 Mr. Cowdrick has been identified with the erection of many large and costly buildings in Niagara county, among them being the Tonawanda Iron and Steel works, which was completed in 1896, the machinery of which plant was set in motion by the touching of an electric button at Canton, Ohio, by President McKinley. October 6, 1887, Mr. Cowdrick married Josephine Shrom of Bellefonte, and they have two children, John W, andMary C. Mr. Cowdrick is president of the Board of Trustees of St. James M. E. church at Niagara Falls.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time