Cornell, H. E., was born in Lewiston, September 12, 1864, a son of Hiram B. and Isabella (Perry) Cornell. His father was a native of this State and his grandfather, Nelson Cornell, came from Massachusetts prior to 1830. H. G. Cornell's first business undertaking was steamboating and he was with the Northwestern Transportation Company for three years, then engaged with the Canadian Pacific Railroad for nine years as conductor. In 1888 he returned to Lewiston and inaugurated the Cornell House which was burned in July, 1895; he immediately rebuilt his fine hotel at the Central Depot and overlooking the river. The capacity of the .house will soon be doubled by a large addition which Mr. Cornell contemplates building. He is highly popular not only in Lewiston, but far and near, and his house is the favorite resort of tourists and pleasure seekers. He is a Republican in politics, a member of the Order of Elks, and was the instigator of the extensive fish planting being done in Niagara River. He married Laura Vaughan, and they have three daughters: Eveline, Frances and Isabelle.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time