Cooke, W. J., was born on the homestead where he still resides, in the town of Lewistown, December 7, 1829. He was the oldest son of Isaac C, and Catherine (Jones) Cooke, and has pursued the occupation of farming all his life. Mr. Cooke is one of the old native residents of the town and has always enjoyed the highest respect and confidence of his fellow townsmen. He was supervisor of the town of Lewiston five years in succession from 1886 to 1891, and has held other public offices. The Cookes are an old New England family and Mr. Cooke's grandfather, Lemuel, came from Connecticut to Fort Niagara in 1796 with the American troops sent thither to take possession of the fort upon its surrender by the English. About 1800 he removed to Lewiston village, and about 1808 settled upon the present Cooke farm, which he cleared up. There were originally a family of eleven children, eight sons and three daughters, of whom four are now living, namely, Lemuel Isaac, Emily, W. J. and Amelia.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time