Cocker, William, a well respected citizen and saw manufacturer of Lockport, was born in Sheffield, England, November 29, 1834, a son of Samuel and Mary (Gregory) Cocker. His father was a saw manufacturer and learned his trade in that city famed for its many cutlery manufactories. He came to this country in 1851, locating in Rochester, where he died in 1876. William Cocker came with his parents to this country and located in Rochester, where he learned the sawmaker's trade with Mr. Joseph Flint of that city and remained with him six years. In 1857 he removed to Lockport and engaged in the manufacture of saws on a small scale. By hard work, industry and strict economy, he has built up a large and prosperous business and owns and operates a large factory at Nos. 89-91 Market street, 40 by 132 feet, three floors and basement, and a full force of skilled men are regularly employed. He was married in March, 1855, to Priscilla Stokes of Rochester, who died in 1873; to them were born two daughters: Mrs. Anna Schank of Lockport and Mrs. Arthur Kelly of Rochester. Mr. Cocker has always been identified with the Republican party and takes an active interest in the promotion of his party principles. He is a man of high Masonic standing and a member of the Episcopal church.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time