Clifford, Martin, junior member of the lumber firm of James Clifford, jr., & Brother, is a native of Lockport, was born December 27, 1854, and has always resided in the city of his birth. After attending the public schools he was variously employed until 1888, when he engaged in the manufacture of shingles at Gasport. Niagara county, in which he was very successful for six years. In 1894 he formed a copartnership with his brother, James Clifford, jr., and they now own and operate one of the leading lumber industries in this section of the country. Mr. Clifford is a son of James and Margaret (Carney) Clifford, who came to this country from the north of Ireland in 1832 and settled in Niagara county, N. Y. Mr. Clifford has always been identified with the Democratic party and in 1887-88 represented the Fourth ward of Lockport as its alderman. He is an honored and respected citizen. Mr. Clifford married Wary J. Flynn June l9, 1893, and they have three children, Martin J., Lorretto and Louis C.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time