Clifford, James, jr. - Among the native born residents of Lockport, who have spent their lives in the city of their birth, and who have always been active in the affairs of the city, may be mentioned Mr. James Clifford, jr., who was born August 30, 1846, and whose first schooling was obtained from the public schools of that city. The first position Mr. Clifford ever held was that of lumber salesman, with Mr. Robert James, in whose employ he remained for five years, when he entered the employ of P. M. Ranney, who was also in the lumber business. In 1882 he formed a copartnership with Mr. S. B. White, under the firm name of White & Clifford, dealers in timber, shingles, etc., and was succeeded by James Clilford, jr., & Bro. in 1894, which is now one of the largest lumber firms in Niagara county. Mr. Clifford has always been identified with the Democratic party and was one year chief of police, two years on the Board of Alderman and three years water commissioner, and is now on the special water committee. He has been for many years a member of the Fire Department of Lockport, and is now on the exempt list and a member of the Exempt Firemen's Association. He is a son of James and Margaret (Carney) Clifford, who came to this country from Ireland in 1832. Mr. Clifford was married to Mary A. Smith of the town of Royalton, Niagara, county. May 28, 1874, and they have four children: Anna J., Margaret E., James E., and John F.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time