Chapman, Harrison S., president of the Field Force Pump Co., and a prominent citizen of Lockport, was born September 18, 1849, a son of Leander F. and Hannah (Kirkpatrick) Chapman, who were descended from old English stock and settled in America at a very early date. H. S. Chapman received his education in the public schools and the Friendship Academy in Allegany county, N. Y., from which he was graduated in the class of 1865. His first employment was as a brakeman on the Erie Railroad, but was soon promoted to the position of conductor and served in that capacity for five years, at which time he was again promoted to passenger conductor and continued as such until 1891. In 1882, however, he became connected with the Field Force Pump Co., and since 1891 has given his entire attention to the company's extensive affairs. He has always taken an active part in public affairs and was twice elected a member of the Board of Education, and is serving the second year as president of that body. He is associated with many societies, among which are the Masons in all its branches, and the Order of Railway Conductors. June 8, 1871, he married Florence J. Hendershott of Hornellsville, N. Y.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time