Carr, William, was born at Niagara Falls, N. Y., June 3, 1827, a son of the late John Carr. He was educated in the public schools at Pekin, N. Y., whence his parents had removed in 1830, and at the age of sixteen years began clerking in the dry goods establishment of William Fleming at Pekin, where he remained for two years. He was later employed in the same business in Buffalo, and in 1850 returned to Pekin, where he entered the general store of his father. In 1854 he engaged with the New York Central Railroad Company as track superintendent and retained that position until 1870, when he was appointed a deputy collector at the United States Custom House, Niagara Falls, and filled that office until 1874. He was then appointed deputy postmaster at the village of Suspension Bridge, and later was made postmaster at the same point, in which position he remained until 1889, when he retired from active life. June 30, 1853, Mr. Carr married Amelia L. Barnum of Wheatfield, and they have had eight children, six of whom survive. Mr. Carr is a highly respected citizen and one of the landmarks of Suspension Bridge.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time