Canavan, James W., was born at Niagara Falls, N. Y., January 22, 1861, and is a son of Thomas Canavan, a retired railroad man. Mr. Canavan attended the public schools at Niagara Falls until, at the age of eighteen, he entered the employ of the New York Central Railroad Company as a brakeman, in which capacity he served for six years, when he was promoted to the position of freight conductor, which he held until 1887, at which time he was appointed deputy collector of customs at the Custom House, Niagara Falls, where he remained four years. In 1891 he opened the Colonnade Hotel at Niagara Falls, which he still operates successfully in conjunction with the new State Park Hotel, built_ in 1895, and opened to the public on July 15, 1896. Mr. Canavan is also proprietor and manager of the Lyceum Theater at Niagara Falls and is otherwise identified with the business interests of that city. July 15, 1886, he married Ellen Donnelly of Niagara Falls, and they have twin sons and two daughters. Mr. Canavan is a prominent member of the C. M. B. A., the B. P. O. E., Rescue Hook and Ladder Company and other organizations of Niagara Falls. He was elected alderman of Niagara Falls in March, 1895, and served two years.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time