Buttery Family, The. - John Milton Buttery, son of John Belden and Mercy (Weed) Buttery, was born in Homer, N. Y., April 23, 1809, and was of English descent on his father's side and Holland Dutch on his mother's side. His father died in 1875, aged ninety-three. He received a common school education at Summer Hill, Cayuga county, where the family early settled. In 1830 he came to Lewiston, N.Y., and there, on April 7, 1835, married Priscilla, daughter of Robert and Esther (Pierce) Nichols, and one of the early school teachers of that town. Robert Nichols was born August 2, 1773, in Royalston, Mass., came to Niagara Falls on horseback June 6, 1816, and in 1817 located at the Bridge adjoining the Whirlpool Rapids, whence he moved in 1820 to a farm in Lewiston, where he died December 18, 1834. He followed his trade of stonemason, and was the builder of the famous Terrapin Tower at the falls, the Lewiston Presbyterian church, etc. His children were Esther (Mrs. Asher Williams), born February 21, 1787; Gad P., born January 27, 1799; and Priscilla (Mrs. John M. Buttery), born March 26, 1813. In 1835 John M. Buttery settled ona farm in Lewiston, where his ten children were born, and which is now owned by his daughter Sarah. Three of his children died there. About 1837-9 Mr. Buttery and Capt. Matthias Kline built on contract the old horse railroad from Lewiston to Niagara Falls. In 1847 he constructed, alone, the first telegraph line between Montreal and Quebec, and in 1853 he superintended the excavating of the "through cut" of the Lewiston and Niagara Falls Railroad near the Devil's Hole. He was also for several years highway commissioner of Lewiston. In 1856 he came to Suspension Bridge and for ten years was engaged extensively in dairying. In 1859 he purchased two and one-half acres of land at the Whirlpool Rapids, on which stood an old saw mill, and in 1860 opened the place as a resort, having a winding stairs leading to the rapids below. Here in 1869 he built and on August 39 opened the famous Buttery Elevator, 200 feet in depth, which he and his family conducted until about 1890. This was one of the earliest attractions on the river below the falls. Mr. Buttery was long a member of the Suspension Bridge School Board, was always an ardent Democrat, and died April 29, 1872. His wife died December 18, 1888. Their children were Sarah, born December 30, 1835; Robert, of Niagara Falls; John, a farmer of Lewiston; Earl, of Niagara Falls; Addie, a teacher for seven years at Suspension Bridge; Harmon; Emmet; Eugenia; Wilber; and Priscilla (wife of Dr. William Dalton McEwen, a dentist), of Niagara Falls. Sarah Buttery was graduated from Wilson Academy, and for several years taught school in Lewiston. In 1856 she came to suspension Bridge with her parents where she has since resided.
Extracted from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, Part III, pages 208-209
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time