Niagara County
NYGenWeb

1897 Biography - Mighells B. Butler

Butler, Capt. Mighells B., was born at Phelps, Ontario county, N. Y., November 22, 1856, a son of Edgar D. Butler. He attended the public schools of his native town and later De Veaux College, from which institution he was graduated in 1876. He then took a year's course in Harvard College and later became master and commandant of De Veaux College at Niagara Falls; still later he attended lectures in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York city, and in 1881 was graduated from the New York Homeopathic Medical College and practiced medicine in the Hygienic Institute at Geneva for one year. In 1884 he removed to Suspension Bridge, where he formed a partnership with Martin V. Pearson, as M. V. Pearson & Co., and successfully carried on the wholesale and retail grocery business and in 1890 they opened a branch store at Niagara Falls. In 1892 the partnership was dissolved, Mr. Butler retaining as his share of the business the store at Niagara Falls, which he sold out in 1895; in 1893 he established the large department store (of which he is still manager) and in December, 1896, sold out to Hodge Bros., who in turn sold to the present owners, Faxson, Williams & Faxson. In 1881 Captain Butler married Jessie Jackson of Ithaca, and they have three children. Captain Butler is commander of the 42d Separate Company, N. G. N. Y., and a member of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132, Free and Accepted Masons and of Niagara Falls Chapter No. 346, B. P. O. E. He is also a trustee of De Veaux College and a member of the Board of Public Works.


Butler, Capt. Mighells B., was born at Phelps, Ontario county, N. Y., November 23, 1856, a son of Edgar D. Butler. His early life was passed at Niagara Falls, where he attended the public schools and later De Veaux College, from which institution he was graduated in 1876. He then took a year's course in Harvard College and later became master and commandant of the De Veaux College at Niagara Falls; still later he attended lectures in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York city, and in 1881 was graduated from the New York Homeopathic Medical College and practiced medicine in the Hygienic Institute at Geneva for one year and afterwards went in the dry goods business in Ithaca, N. Y., being a member of the firm of Jackson & Bush. ln 1884 he removed to Suspension Bridge, where he formed a partnership with Martin V. Pearson, as M. V. Pearson & Co, and successfully carried on the wholesale and retail grocery business and in 1890 they opened a branch store at Niagara Falls. In 1892 the partnership was dissolved, Mr. Butler retaining as his share of the business, the store at Niagara Falls; in 1893 he established the large department store (of which he is still manager) and in December, 1896, sold out to Hodge Bros. who in turn sold to the present owners, Faxon, Williams & Faxon. ln 1881 Capt. Butler married Jessie Jackson of Ithaca, and they have three children. Capt. Butler is commander of the 42d Separate Company, N. G. S. of New York and a member of Niagara Frontier Lodge No. 132, Free and Accepted Masons and of Niagara Falls Chapter No. 346, B. P. O. E. He is also a trustee of De Veaux College and a member of the Board of Public Works.


Extracted from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, published in 1897, volume 2, pages 155 and 215.


Design by Templates in Time