Brown, James G. O., was born in Pittstown, Rensselaer county, N. Y., May 23, 1824. a son of Joseph and Polly (Dix) Brown. Joseph Brown was born in Massachusetts and in 1833 came to Olcott and in 1838 to Wilson; he died in Michigan April 2, 1849; his wife was born in Vermont, and died in 1872. James G. O. Brown was reared in Wilson and there educated. He was ten years a mason and helped build the Union School building in 1845; in 1855 he moved on to his present farm of 100 acres, and follows general farming. He was first a Whig and is now a Republican, having been one since the organization of the party; he has served as commissioner and inspector. May 30, 1849, he married Mary E., daughter of Daniel and Sally (Taylor) Holmes. and they have eight children: Edward D., Sarah L., James G., a lawyer of Dubuque, Iowa, Mary E., Joseph E. and Daniel E. (twins), Llewellyn H. and Samuel D. Mr. and Mrs. Brown were Presbyterians and he has been a member since 1828; he has been elder for thirty-four years, trustee over thirty years and is now president of the board and clerk of the session for twenty-nine years. In 1855 he took the census of Wilson.
Extracted from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time