Niagara County

1897 Biography - Warren C. Briggs

Briggs, Warren C., was born at Mapleton, Niagara county, N. Y., August 20, 1873. He received his education at the Lockport Union School and Lockport Business University. His father, Wesley C. Briggs,' was born at Carlton, Orleans county, N. Y., August 30, 1842, and was educated at the Lockport Union School and Bryant & Stratton's Business College of Buffalo. On March 21, 1868, he was united in marriage to Miss Esther Cornell of Ransomville. Mrs. Briggs was educated at Wilson Academy and the Lockport Union School, and previous to her marriage taught in the public schools of Niagara county for several years. The greater part of Mr. Briggs's life was spent on the farm at Mapleton, where after a short illness he died October 9, 1892. Since his death his son has carried on the affairs of the homestead farm in a most exemplary and businesslike manner and has given considerable attention to the care of fine stock and horses. The parents of Wesley C. Briggs were Ira and Philena (Travis) Briggs. Ira Briggs was born in Greene county, N. Y., October 5, 1812, and his wife (whose father was a Quaker) was born in Scottsville, Monroe county, N. Y., August 8, 1820. After their marriage, which occurred December 26, 1838, they settled in Genesee county. A few years later they came to Niagara county. He purchased a large tract of land on Tonawanda Creek and after living there a few years settled on the old homestead place, where the subject of this sketch now resides. In the year 1871 Mr. Briggs retired from active business life and purchased a home in the city of Lockport, where he resided until his death, which occurred October 4, 1893. The father of Esther Cornell Briggs was William Cornell, who was born in Caledonia, N. Y., July 21, 1818. When a child he came with his parents to Niagara county. October 23, 1840, he married Hannah E. Gunn of Henrietta, N. Y. After her death, which occurred July 19, 1847, he married Anna V. Gunn, who died January 13, 1882. Mr. Cornell died May 11, 1883, at his home at Porter Center.

Extracted from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York

Design by Templates in Time

This page was last updated 04/08/2024