Blum, Jacob, was born in Pendleton March 31, 1859, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Gerhart) Blum. Jacob Blum, sr., was born in Bavaria, and came to America in 1847, when fourteen years of age, with his. parents, Frank and Catharine Blum. He was apprenticed to the carpenter trade, but later on successfully entered the educational field and for fifteen years taught in German and English in the Catholic school in Pendleton. He was an active Democrat and was collector and assessor for fifteen years; he died June 22, 1896, aged sixty-three years. The parents of Elizabeth Blum, John and Elizabeth Gerhart, came from Bavaria in 1834 and settled on a farm in Pendleton. John Gerhart was a mason by trade and worked in Lockport, building the old Thornton and Chester Mills and later in Batavia, removing to Wisconsin in 1856, where he worked at his trade until eighty-four years old; he died at the age of eighty-eight and his wife at the age of eighty-four. Jacob Blum, the subject, was educated in the parish school at Pendleton and in 1881 engaged in the grocery business at Pendleton. He is a Democrat, and as such was, in 1883, elected town clerk and held the office eleven years in succession. He was defeated in 1895, but in 1897 was again elected for a term of two years. He has also been for nine years secretary of the Niagara and Erie County Farmers' Protective Association. He is a member of Swormville Branch No. 67, C. M. B. A.
Extracted from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time