Belden, George D., was born at Albany, N. Y., August 14, 1839, and is a son of Selah Belden, who was for years a dealer in boots and shoes in that city. George D. Belden was educated at the public schools and Classical Institute at Albany, and later attended the Western Reserve Seminary in Northern Ohio. At the age of sixteen he went to the pineries on Green Bay, Wis., as clerk for the New York Lumber Company, just then organized. In 1857 he moved to Chicago, where he studied dentistry in the office of Drs. Quinlan and Cushing for two years, later on graduating at the Ohio College of Dental Surgery at Cincinnati. In the summer of 1862 he enlisted from Chicago in the Marine Artillery of the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. Returning to Chicago in the spring of 1863, he at once entered the service of the C. A. & St. L. Railroad Company, and was almost continuously engaged in railroading on Illinois and New York railroads as agent. telegrapher and chief train dispatcher until 1884. As chief train dispatcher he served the D., L. & W. and D. & H. C. Co.'s Saratoga division for a number of years. In 1884 he organized and successfully conducted the Vermont Slate Trust, comprising all the important roofing slate quarries in " Sea-green" output, having his headquarters at Granville, Washington county, N. Y. In 1881 he accepted the general New England agency, with headquarters at Poultney, Vt., for the Niagara Mercantile Agency and held that position until 1890, when he removed to Niagara Falls and opened an office in real estate and ticket brokerage business, in partnership with Arthur N. Allen, at 44 Falls street, in which he is now engaged. He is a member of the Episcopal church, a comrade in the Grand Army of the Republic and aided in organizing Joyce Post No. 49, in Poultney, Vt.
Extracted from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time