Armstrong, Andrew M., Somerset, one of the enterprising farmers of Somerset, was born on the west shore of the west branch of Keuka Lake in the town of Fultney, Steuben county, July 14, 1839, and is a son of Andrew and Eunice Armstrong. His father was born in Ireland and came to America in an early day and died when Andrew was quite young. His mother was born in Benton, Yates county, N. Y., and died August 7, 1883. Mr. Armstrong clerked in Middleport for William Van Horn for two years, and when eighteen years of age moved on to the farm he now owns, and where he has since resided. December 25, 1872, he married Emma J. Hays of Hartford, and they had two children; Edith M., born April 26, 1875, and Hugh, born December 19, 1884, died May 30, 1891. Mr. Armstrong was elected supervisor of his town in 1883, and served seven years-1883, 1889, 1890, 1893, 1894, 1895 and 1896. He is a successful farmer, raising grain, fruit, chickens, blooded cows and horses. Mrs. Armstrong's father died in 1862, aged sixty-two years. Her mother, who is living with her daughter, was born in the town of Hatfield, Hampshire county, Mass., in 1803, and is probably the oldest living person in Somerset, if not in Niagara county. She is yet hale and hearty, and aside from being slightly deaf, is in full possession of all her faculties. She is the mother of eleven children, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood. One son, Sidney C. Hays, was a member of the 151st N. Y. Vol. Infantry and was killed at Sailor Creek. The G. A. R. Post at Barker is named after him. The famous Jug Tavern, the first in Somerset, was on Mr. Armstrong's farm, a hollow tree with a five-gallon jug of whiskey. Mr. Armstrong has been a member of Hartland Lodge No. 218, F, and A. M., since 1864.
Extracted from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time