Arison, William H., was born in Fayette county, Pa., July 21, 1853, and was a son of Matthew Arison, a farmer of that section, now deceased. William Arison attended the public schools in Fayette county and later the union schools at Monongahela City, Pa. 1n 1873 he married Elizabeth E., daughter of William and Rebecca (Collins) Coulter, a contractor and builder of Monongahela City, and in the same year entered the employ of his wife's father, subsequently entering into partnership, where he remained until 1880, when he was made manager of the mercantile department of the Harlem Coal Company. Three years later he resigned his position and established himself in the dry goods business where he remained until 1892. In 1894 he was appointed secretary of the Carborundum Company at Monongahela, in which he became a director and stockholder. In 1896, upon the completion of the big carborundum plant at Niagara Falls, N. Y., he was placed in charge as resident manager. He is a director and secretary of the Monongahela Electric Light Company, controlled by the Carborundum Company since 1894, and was a member of the City Council and Monongahela City School Board for ten years prior to his removal to Niagara Falls. His wife died in 1877, leaving one son, Edgar E., and in 1879 he married Katharine C. Collins, daughter of James F. and Eliza A. (Weaver) Collins and they have one daughter, Katherine.
Extracted from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time