Some Histories of the Towns and Villages of Niagara County

Town of Cambria

Source: Excerpts taken from the article, "Cambria's First Records Reveal Interesting Data" Written by Clarence O. Lewis. Printed in the UNION SUN AND JOURNAL, Lockport, NY, dated 21 August 1958

It will be remembered that when Niagara County was set off from Genesee County in 1808, the southern boundary was the Cattaraugus Creek. All that part of Niagara County north of the Tonawanda Creek was named CAMBRIA. The name apparently was selected either because of the Cambrian layer of rock under this area or possibly from a community of similar name elsewhere. There are six Cambrias in the United States (as of this 1958 writing), and Cambria is also an old name for whales.

The first town meeting was held at the house of Joseph Hewit who lived on the Portage Road, south of Lewiston, NY. Jonas Harrison of Lewiston, reknown, was elected town clerk. Other officers from various parts of the town were elected to the many offices then constituting the town government.

Charles Wilber, a tavern keeper at Cold Spring (now in the Town of Lockport) was elected one of three road commissioners; Thomsa Slayton of Slayton Settlement was elected one of the overseers of the poor. There were two pounds for stray domestic animals. Thomas Hustler, inn keeper of Lewiston, was elected Pound Master for the western end of the town and Enock Hitchcock for the eastern end.

This eastern pound was located near the junction of the Slayton Settlement Road and the Gasport-Hartland Road ‘in the four corners at or near the school house on the land of Gad Warner, Esq." with $40 to be raised by tax to pay for same. The western pound was located in the public square in Lewiston. Later other pounds were established in the town. There were beside supervisors, town clerk and pound masters other officers such as road and school commissioners from each district, path masters and fence viewers, and "ear markers."

Bounty for killing wolves was $10; for painters, $10; bears $; and black birds 3 cents. A painter by the way is, according to the dictionary, a variety of panter. A substantial part of the animal and proof that it was killed in Cambria had to be presented to the Town Clerk or Justice of the Peace to receive payment.

The descriptions of the surveys for the first roads in Cambria are numerous and quite interesting. Oak trees, beech tree, stumps, posts, stakes, creeks, log cabin are all mentioned as beginning or end of a road, or in some cases the "fifth, sixth, or seventh" o other "meridian lines" (historians today generally call them "range line").

Several surveys ended at Gad Warner's Mill, Slayton and Maybee's Mill, Augustus Porter's Mill, Howder's Mill, etc. Much interesting and useful data is obtainable from these road surveys. Stephen Hopkins, who later resided in Lockport, did much of the early surveying. Later in the 1820s we find Parkhurst Whitney, inn keeper of Niagara Falls, and S. Pendleton Clark, inn keeper of Pendleton, surveying for new roads [leading to areas outside the town].


Town of Hartland

Named From a Town in Vermont, the Town of Hartland was formed from a part of the Town of Cambria on June 1, 1812. It is the central town upon the east border of Niagara County, NY. The Towns of Royalton, Somerset and part of Newfane were taken off in 1817, 1823, and 1824 respectively. The first settlement was made in 1803, by John and David Morrison. Zebulon Barnum, Jedediah Riggs, Isaac Southwell, and Dan'l Brown moved into the town the same year . A. Barnum and Oliver Castle following in 1805.

The first death was that of Isaac Southwell in 1806; the first inn was opened by Jephtha Dunn in 1809. The first store by Dan'l VanHorn in 1816. The first school was taught by Nancy Judson in 1818. The principal streams are Eighteen Mile and Johnsons Creeks.

Other locales in the Town are Johnsons Creek, Hartland Corners, North Hartland, Middleport).


Village of Lewiston

Source: This history was written for the NIAGARA FALLS GAZETTE on Its 100th Anniversary date of publication. Monday, May 17, 1954. (Author Unknown). I found this history document in the History / Reference Room at the Lockport Public Library under past-County Historian Clarence O. Lewis files.

Area's First Civilian Community, Lewiston Once Appeared Destined to Become Big Industrial Center

The Village of Lewiston, quite possibly the oldest non-military community on the Niagara Frontier, was settled because of its location to the lower end of the portage end Niagara Falls.

This portage was, in early days, the most important route to the upper lakes, and the French, realizing its advantages, built on the site as early as 1719, when Joincare settled a log house near the river. When the British took control of the French in 1759, they improved the portage by contructing a rude counter-balance railway to raise freight to the escarpment and employed wagons from there, rather than the backs of the Seneca Indians, as the French had done.

After the area had served largely as a home for Senecas, a few settlers moved to Lewiston, the first known being the tavern keeper, Middaugh, in 1788. Others who came from 1802 to 1810 included such well remembered pioneers as Capt. Lemuel Cook, Benj. Barton, Alexander Millar and the Hustlers, proprietors of the tavern at which James Finnimore Cooper is reputed to have writen his famous book, "The Spy."

Destroyed by the British

The village was destroyed in 1813, during the War of 1812, when the Britich razed the entire frontier and ten or so residents were killed, mostly by Indians. It was headquarters of the American army at the time of the battle of Queenston Heights. After the war rebuilding commenced and, although interrupted occasionally by fires and ice jams, progressed through the years. The importance of the portage was gone after the opening of the Erie Canal in 1826, but commerce by ship to Lake Ontario ports became active, timber and agricultural products being shipped.

Transportation by land was confined to stagecoach until 1836, when a railroad line was built connecting Lewiston with the horsedrawn Lockport and Niagara Falls R. R. In 1853 the Niagara Falls and Lake Ontario R. R. built a line from Niagara Falls and in 1896 the scenic Great Gorge R. R. came to the Village, where it connected with the steamships running to Toronto (Canada). All these modes of transportation are now abandoned.

The first bridge to Canada was opened in 1851 and was destroyed by a storm in 1864. The present bridge was erected in 1899.

Schools were built at various times, the first in 1806 and the Academy on the site of the present ball field, a high school started in 1828, drew students from both sides of the river. The profits of the ferry to Canada were appropriated for the Academy's maintainance. When the bridge to Queenston was erected, the ferry was abandoned and the picturesque old building was discontinued as a school for lack of funds.

One Mile Square

The original and present area of the Village of Lewiston was one square mile and most of the streets were laid out about 1835. The village was incorporated in 1843, second only to Lockport in Niagara County. At one time it was seriously considered as the site for the county seat.

One of the outstanding structures is the Frontier House, a large stone building in Center Street, built in 1826 as a tavern. It has housed many important visitors and is known throughout the area as a landmark.

Church services were held in Lewiston in the church constructed by the famous Mohawk, Joseph Brant, during the British occupation of the area. These were said to be the earliest civilian services held on the Niagara Frontier. The present Presbyterian church was the mother church of Western New York, having been founded in 1817. Other local churches are St. Peter's Catholic, organized in 1830; St. Paul's Episcopal in 1832, and the Evangelical Lutheran Churchof the Messiah, organized within the last year.

Colorful Era

A colorful era in Lewiston's history was inaugurated in 1897, when the Great Gorge Railroad opened. The trip through the famous gorge, with the trolley track only a few yards from the lower rapids, brought thousands of sight-seers, many of whom extended the trip by taking the steamer to Toronto (Canada). Eight and ten cars, each pulling two or three trailers, would meet the boats which were loaded with passengers from Toronto. The railroad is now abandoned and the waterfront is drab in comparison to its form lively appearance.

A project which was considered for a time in Lewiston was the construction of a canal from the upper river, the power to be developed by the fall of water over the escarpment. It was hoped thus to make Lewiston a manufacturing center. The idea was never carried out due to the high cost, and the early residents' dreams of industrial wealth were never fulfilled.

Lewiston is rich in historic lore and still boasts many interesting historic structures such as the home of Miss M. Gazelle Hoffman, the first bakery in the Village, and the Sparrow Sage home, Ridge Road, domicile of one of the earliest settlers, and many more.

Despite predictions of a great future for Lewiston as a center of transportation and of water power, the Village is now a suburban town and it seems to be the consensus of residents that the wish to keep it a pretty village, with an historic background, will help to maintain its residential nature in the future.


Town of Royalton

Source: Written by Donald Jerge, Royalton Historical Society

Located in the southeast corner of Niagara County and comprised of 38,820 acres, Royalton is one of the largest towns in the state (of NY).

There were a succession of boundry changes from the earliest time, when the French were in control, until 1824 when the present boundries were set. In 1813 all the land east of Transit Road (St. Rte 78) to the Orleans county line, and south from Lake Ontario to Tonawanda Creek was known as the Town of Hartland.

The next division took place April 1817 when Royalton was formed from Hartland townships, #13 and #14, being the southern half of the town.

The last boundary change took place in 1824 when the Town of Lockport was formed and took in the western section Royalton.

Pioneers from (the state of) Vermont who settled Newfane, Hartland and Royalton came from the Green Mountain County of Windsor. At this time we have no known being of people from Royalton, Vermont, but it is thought that the name Royalton was derived from the Vermont village of the same name.

One of the earliest roads was an Indian trail entering at the southeast border and crossing in a northwesterly direction from Batavia to Fort Niagara (NY). Called the Lewiston trail or road, it follows today's St. Rte. 77 from our northern border through Royalton Center, McNalls Corners, Terry's Corners and leaves our western border at the Husky Cemetery on Chestnut Ridge as it continues to the Cold Springs Road (where Cold Springs Cemetery is located) and on to Fort Niagara.

Another of our earliest roads is Slayton Settlement Road running east and west on our northern border and continuing east as Telegraph Road, part of St. Rte. 31.

The Erie, or later Barge Canal, running across the northern section, was responsible for the growth of four canal villages--Middleport, Reynales Basin, Gasport and Orangeport. With the advent of the railroad in 1852, Middleport and Gasport grew and the other two declined. Middleport is our only incorporated village.

The canal and railroad also caused the decline of two other northern settlements which might have grown lareger--one, the Mill District on Slayton Settlement Road at Quaker Road where early flour and sawmills flourished and further west, Slayton's Settlement near the present day Slayton Settlement and Hartland Roads.

Carrington's Corners (later Royalton Center), McNalls Corners and Terry's Corners, flourished as the stage coached and settlers poured through. There was even an academy at Royalton Center.

Further to the southern border, at Dysingers Corners, was the little settlement of Locust Tree with a post office and church. Our southernmost settlement is Wolcottsville. Anson Wolcott purchased 2000 acres and located on it in 1847-1848 and started a saw and lumber mill. In 1851 he deeded the whole tract of land to 75 German families from Prussia. Thus, Wolcottsville was formed and it still remains principally a German settlement.

Also in the southern part of the town were two small settlements, one being Block Church on the bend of Akron Road (St. Rte. 93). This settlement had an active church, a townhall which was used as a polling place and the school house which has been converted to a private home--until the early 1990s. (The church/townhall are gone now).

Leslie was the other small settlement located at Burdicks Bridge on the bank of Tonawanda Creek. There were undoubtedly other small hamlets whose names have become lost in the mists of time.

Royalton has been settled by thrifty, hard-working people with many trades and talents. Early years found sawmills, flour mills, lime kilns, quarries, brick yards, cider and vinegar mills, a pickle factory, cheese factories and basket factories.

The canal and railroad brought a means of shipping the many kinds of fruit grown in the area. Every village had its blacksmith and copper shops as well as fruits for processing dry fruit.

...Royalton is rich in history and folklore. It is all there for searching.

 

Source: This next article regarding the Town of Royalton, NY was sent in by Yamila on the 14th of January 1997. I think you'll find it very interesting.

Hello, Maureen --

I would like to share with you some information that I hope will be of interest to you concerning the connection between Windsor County, VT and Royalton, NY. It is my understanding that Thomas Slayton, who was born on April 4, 1775 in Brookfield, Massachusetts, was taken by his parents to live in Woodstock, Windsor County, Vermont in 1778. Thomas moved to western New York and became the first settler on the "Holland Purchase" in 1803.

According to "Turner's History of the Holland Land Purchase, 1849", "The pioneer in all the region named was Thomas Slayton. He was on his way to Canada, 1803, with his family; broke his wagon down about two miles east of the Cold Springs; stopped in consequence, liked the country, took up land and chopped an acre or two. His horses having strayed away from his log cabin, he went into the woods in pursuit of them, and in his rambles saw the fine soil and black walnut groves below the mountain and soon changed his location, becoming the founder of Slayton Settlement. Those who pass now through that beautiful, highly cultivated region, will conclude that the early pioneer made a good selection when he had a wide field before him."

In 1804, Thomas' younger brother Joshua came from Woodstock to join him in the new settlement, and it was he who named the town "Royalton", after Royalton, Vermont. Joshua had twelve children, from whom most of the Slaytons now living in western New York (and myself) are descended.

Here is a confirmatory excerpt from French's Gazatteer of the State of New York:

ROYALTON6–was formed from Hartland, April 5, 1817, and a part of Lockport was taken off in 1824. It is the S. E. corner town of the co. The surface is generally level or undulating, except in the N. part, where the mountain ridge crosses the town. Johnsons, Eighteen Mile, and Mud Creeks take their rise in this town, and the Tonawanda forms its s. boundary. The soil is a clayey loam. Middleport7 (p. v.) incorporated in 1858, lies partly in Hartland, but principally in the N.E. part of this town. It is situated upon the Erie Canal, and is a station on the R. & N. F. R. R. It contains 5 churches and has a pop. of 689, (586 in Royalton, 103 in Hartland.) Gasport,8 (p. v.,) situated on the canal near Eighteen Mile Creek, is a station on the R. & N. F. R. R. It contains 1 church and an academy.9 Pop. 273. Orangeport, (p. v.,) on the canal, in the N. W. part of the town, has a pop. of 224; Royalton, (p. v.,) in the central part, of 168; and Reynales Basin, (p. v.,) on the canal, of 132. Locust Tree and South Royalton are p. offices. McNalls Corners is a hamlet in the w. part. The first settlement was made in 1803, by Thos. Slayton and Gad Warner.10 The first religious services were held in 1806; the first religious society (Christian) was organized in 1817, and the first church edifice was built the same year.11 There are 12 churches in town."

Thank you, Yamila!

 

Additional information sent in by a visitor:

DARLING>Windsor Co. VT My 2nd G. Grandfather, Constantine John Maguire m Christina Darling in Niag. County, his mother, Sarah Slater Maguire, is buried in the Orangeport Union Cemetery. Her husband, John Maguire, is buried in Exeter, RI.
Email: Amag0254@flash.net
Arlan Maguire's Genealogy


Town of Somerset

Source: Written by Niagara County Historian, 1954, Clarence O. Lewis

Jacob Fitts, the first white settler in the Town of Somerset came with his family from Mansfield, NY, about 1810 and settled near the banks of Lake Ontario, on a farm which has been in the Fitts family until about three years ago. From until Olcott (Kempsville) he was guided to Somerset by Burgoyne Kemp over a trail he had cleared. In 1811, the first white child, Delilah Fitts was born in the Town.

During the next two years, before the War of 1812, several families settled in the Barker area, among them Archibald Whitton, Philip Fitts, brother of Jacob; Truman and David Mudgett, Zachariah Patterson, John Adam Pease, Samuel and Asa Coleman, Ezra C. and Capt. Ezra Mead, Maston and John Sherwood, Herman Pratt, Francis Albright, Peter Hess, Humphrey Sharpsteen, Silas Mead, Jacob Haight, and Henry W. Denton, names that are familiar in the Town to this day.

Churches Built Early

After the war of 1812, James E. Mathew, Samuel Palmer, David Barker and others cleared land and established homes in the northern part of the town. The first religious organization was formed by the Methodists in 1817, when meetings were held at the log cabin home of Silas Mead. Afterwards meetings were held in the log schoolhouse on the Mead farm.

In 1820, th Baptist group was formed at James Sephen's home and a church was erected east of what is now Somerset Corners in 1832.

The Society of Friends was formed in 1821 and in 1836 a red brick meeting house was built on land donated by Jacob Haight, who came to the town about 1815, and a cemetery was laid out at the side of the church.

In 1824, the Presbyterians organized at the home of Stephen Palmer and in 1840 a frame church was erected south of the village of Somerset which served the Presbyterian congregation until 1915, when the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations united and the Presbyterian church building was sold as a hall for the Somerset Grange, which had been organized in 1908, with Elwyn Fox as its first Master.

Maston Sherwood was the first school teacher inthe town, teaching in a log schoolhouse on the Silas Mead farm. Records show that later a Jane Ann Williams, a member of another pioneer family, taught school there for $1.50 a week.

First Store, Post Office

James Mathews opened the first store in the hamlet of Somerset in 1820 and in 1825 he was appointed postmaster, the mail being brought by horseback from stations on what is now the Ridge Road. In 1825 Mr. Mathews built the first frame house to be erected in the Town of Somerset. Another group of Baptists met in 1845 and organized a church at West Somerset and the brick church, which still stands and serves the congregation, was built in 1850.

Other post offices were established at South Somerset, (the Denton farm on the Hartland Road); Lake Road, ( Pettit farm on West Lake Road); at West Somerset, (at the home of Peter Hess); and at County Line Corners just over the Town Line.

A red brick tavern was built on the northeast corner at Somerset on the Samuel Palmer property, and several years later it burned and a frame building was put up which housed a store, a harness shop and a dwelling.

Grist mills were built on several creeks in the Town and stores were opened at one time, the hamlet of Somerset having five stores.

Many temperance organizations flourished during this period. Somerset Lodge, No. 639, F & AM was organized in 1866 and shortly thereafter a brick temple was built at the southeast corner in the village of Somerset which was in use until 1902, when the present Masonic temple, a three-storied brick building, was erected. About the time of the organization of the Masonic Lodge, a Town Hall was constructed which served for town meetings, shows and entertainments of all kinds, being taken over later as a garage by Frost Bros. and now in use to house the Town Road working equipment.

In 1875, the federal government built a lighthouse at 30-Mile Point, which is still operating, though now with electric power instead of the big kerosene lantern which was installed at first.

Railroad Changes Picture

The coming of the Railroad to the Town in 1875 changed the picture entirely for the thriving little Hamlet of Somerset. David Barker, "...[who] came to the area in 1815 from Vermont and purchased 100 acres of land just east of what is now Quaker Road... donated part of his land to the railroad company with the understanding that it would construct tracks through his farm. The railroad was built in 1876 and its original station now serves as Barker Village Hall and library......Barker lived in a log house until 1854, when he and his wife built a brick house. The house still stands on Quaker Road, just south of "Main Street." Barker lived until the age of 92 and is buried in the Quaker Cemetery on Haight Road.2"

At first the depot was called Somerset Station, but it was soon renamed Barker after Mr. Barker, as was the post office which was established there. From that time on, Somerset was doomed as the business center of the town, all businesses gravitating to Barker with its railroad, which continued to grow and thrive until in 1895 a fire wiped out almost the entire business section of the village. It was soon rebuilt, however.

In 1892 a Methodist Church was formed in Barker and a church building was erected in 1894.

St. Patrick's R. C. Church was organized in 1856 in the Town of Hartland, close to the Somerset Town Line and served both towns until about 1920, when a beautiful new church was built in the Village of Barker.

School History

In 1911, three school districts, Barker, Somerset and "Gardner" districts, united to form the Somerset Union Free School and a yellow brick building was erected at the corner of the Quaker and Haight Roads. In 1936-37 24 school districts of Somerset and neighboring towns formed the Barker Central School District and a beautiful new school was built, connecting with the original school. This school now operates a 170 acre farm, a machine shop, and a boarding school for out-of-area students. It was and still is one of the few schools in Western New York to establish a licensed air field.

In 1915, seven years after it became incorporated as a village, Barker built a modern water system, with a pumping station at the Lake and standpipe in the village. Additions and improvements have been made to this system from time to time to make it one of the most up-to-date in the area.

A volunteer fire company was formed by Barker and the Town of Somerset, the members being from both the Village and Town.

Soon after WWI, an American Legion Post was formed which has remained active through the years and which recently purchased a building in the Village of Somerset, which is being remodeled into a meeting hall. An Auxilliary to the Post was formed some time ago.

Other Organizations

Another active orgainzation in the town is a Lions Club, which was formed in 1951.

The Town also boasts an Eastern Star Chapter, IOOF and Rebekah Lodge, Boy and Girl Scout troops and many church organizations.

Another unique organization of the Town is the Sunset Memorial Vespers Association, a non-sectarian group which was formed in 1931 as a memorial to Milton Blood by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert F. Blood. The association erected a tabernacle on the shore of Lake Ontario, north Somerset, and since then a dining and recreation hall, sports field and playground have been added. Meetings held here during the summer months attract crowds from many miles around.1

 

NB--This article is dated 1954 and some of the "present attributes" may be antiquainted now.

1 Clarence O. Lewis, "Barker's Prominence Dates From Railroad's Arrival Which Shifted Business Activity From Somerset," Niagara Falls Gazette, 17 May 1954, Niagara Falls Gazette's Special 100th Year Edition, Sec. B, p. 18, cols. 1-6.

2 Amy L. Strauss, "Somerset gearing up for 175th anniversary celebration," Lockport Union Sun & Journal, 23 January 1998, Daily edition, p. 3, cols. 5-6.


Village of Youngstown

Source: NIAGARA FALLS GAZETTE, Monday, 17 May 1954, Author Not Listed.

Youngstown, 100 Years Old, Began Career as Supply Station for Garrison at Old Ft. Niagara

Youngtown, like the Niagara Falls Gazette, will also celebrate its 100th birthday next summer, having been incorporated in 1854.

The site of the present Village probably was chosen because of its proximity to Fort Niagara, at that time the most important military post in Western New York. Not much is known of Youngstown prior to 1812. A settlement of Iroquois Indians existed near the present location during the British occupation of the fort. Previous to 1650 the land was claimed by the Neuter Indians.

Around 1800 the settlement consisted of a few buildings, including several taverns. The residents wre engaged in providing supplies for the fort, as one of the first industries was the driving of heards of cattle from the east for the use of the garrison.

The land on which the village is situated was part of the territory ceded by the Iroquois to the British as indemnity for the Devil's Hole ambush of British troops. New York State later reserved a mile-wide strip from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, which was opened for sale by the state in 1805. SamuelDeVeaux and Alexander Millar were among the first purchasers. Isaac Swain purchased his land from DeVeaux in 1807.

The Village provided the sites for at least two historic battles, although one of these was fought long before the existence of the town. The battle of La Belle Fame, fought in 1759 on the land purchased later by Swain, decided the ownership of Ft. Niagara in favor of the British and had much to do with the eventual control of North America by the British. The entire Village was burned in Deceber, 1813, when the British destroyed nearly every building on the Frontier as revenge for the burning of Neward, now Niagara-on-the-Lake, by the Americans.

The Village derived its name from John Young in 1808. First businessman of the community, he owned a good share of Youngstown and operated several businesses here and in Niagara-on-the-Lake, where he was an Empier Loyalist and used his real name, Tice.

Had Three Railroads

Three railroads have been built into Youngstown. The Niagara Falls and Lake Ontario in 1853, the so-called Canandaigua Road in 1856, and the Lewiston and Youngstown Frontier R. R. In 1896. The first two were abandoned after a very short existence and the last, an electric road, was torn up in 1950.

Early business in the frontier community included ship building, developed about 1830. The shipyard was located at the present site of the Valla St. Vincent and was a thriving business, as Youngstown was a shipping point for timber and grain via sailing ships and later steamers in the 1800's.

The old stone grist mill produced flour and wheat which were shipped in sailing schooners and later in a line of steam vessels, to Oswego and other points along the lake. Commercial fishing and operation of a ferry to Canada have been local industries throughout the history of the community. The present fruit growing in the area created, at one time, an evaporator and cooperage business and, at present, a cold storage company.

While no building in the Village antedates the War of 1812, when the British razed the entire Frontier, there were built several structures of more than local interest. The cobblestone house built by the Swain family in 1836 was the political and social center of the community. The old stone mill in Water Street was erected in 1840 and the Ontario House in 1842. "Pickwick Hall," an apartment house now, was the earlier scene as a composite of buildings for social usage for an opera house in the 1860's and housed the first post office in one of its component parts.

There are four churches in Youngstown, the original being the Presbyterian Church, organized in 1823. This was followed by St. Bernard's Catholic Church, organized in 1830; St. John's Episcopal Church, 1868; and the Evangelical Lutheran Church, in 1900. A Methodist Church existed for a time, but was abandoned.

The streets of the village were first surveyed in the 1840's.

The village was incorporated in 1854 as the fourth in Niagara County. The first school was started in 1806, with William Cogswell as school teacher. The first log schoolhouse was erected in 1823 on the corners of Main and Water Streets and later was converted into a brick building, now a private residence opposite the Presbyterian Church.

Carried Mail From Batavia

First transportation into the Village was by stagecoach, in the early days from Lewiston and about 1850 from Lockport. The first mail carrier, Philip Beach, brought mail to Ft. Niagara, traveling on foot from Batavia.

Other early residents included Judge Ashbel Hinman, the first postmaster and organizer of the Presbyterian Church; Col. Hathaway, an early tavern keeper; __ Hyde, the first physician, and the Davis family, who were merchandisers and millers through several generations.

At the present time, Youngstown is becoming more and more a residential community. As the Frontier area progresses, this seems to be the logical development of our down-river section.