Armitage, Herschell & Co. - The manufacturing establishment of Armitage, Herschell & Co. had its inception in 1872, when James Armitage, George C. Herschell, Allan Herschell and G. A. Gillies started a machine shop in North Tonawanda. In 1873 Mr. Gillies retired and the other three have since conducted the enterprise, which has grown to large proportions under their able management. In 1890 the firm became a stock company and was incorporated with James Armitage president, and George C. Herschell, secretary and treasurer. They manufacture steam engines and boilers, electric elevators and dynamos, merry-go-rounds, swings, feed cutters and other machines and ship their goods all over the world; their plant covers three acres of ground and they built a fine new office in 1894; they employ from 150 to 200 men. James Armitage was born in England, March 9, 1842, and came to America in 1864. He learned his trade of machinist in the old country and followed it in Buffalo and Williamsville, until he became a member of the firm of Armitage, Herschell & Co. in 1872. March 14, 1870, he married Kate Murray of Buffalo, and they have four children living: Mrs. Clarence Hoover, James Armitage, jr., Elizabeth and Anna. They are all members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which Mr. Armitage has been a steward for many years. Mr. Armitage is a Royal Arch Mason, and is universally esteemed for his sterling integrity and honor, as well as for his well known business ability.
Contributed 2017 by Lisa Slaski from Landmarks of Niagara County, New York, by William Pool, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, NY, 1897
Niagara NYGenWeb Copyright
Design by Templates in Time